Twitter

Wednesday 4 November 2009

Went to paris

Hi! This past weekend I went to Paris, which was absolutely amazing. But what was even more amazing was the number of people that could speak English….it was quite surprising, but good for us Spanish/English-speaking tourists. I decided to go 2 days before I got on the plane – it was very last minute, but I found cheap tickets online, and booked it right away. A large group from the Fundacion happened to be going as well, so I thought Andy and I could hook up with them when we got there, but I soon realized how unrealistic that idea was. Yes, we had cell phones, but with the amount of stuff to cram into a couple days, and the number of people in that group and how difficult and costly (cell phone bills are HUGE out of Spain) it would have been to meet up, I quickly omitted that option, and Andy and I crammed about 100 things into the 3 days that we had to explore. So here it goes….
On Wed night (yes, I did skip school on Thursday, don’t worry mom and dad, we are allowed 2 absences from each class throughout the semester, and they expect us to travel!) we took the latest bus from Toledo to Madrid at 10:30, and got there at about 12, hopped on the metro and went to the airport, where we slept until 3…on a hard floor using a rock hard backpack as a pillow. Our flight left at 5:45 am, and we were in Paris by 8. We landed at a small airport outside of Paris, and took a shuttle bus into the city, so I got to see what the actual countryside of France is like in that area….much like that of Wisconsin, if you ask me. We got off the bus, and I had my first taste of French food, and it blew Spain’s right out of the water. I had a sandwich with delicious cheese and tomato and spices, and the most delectable pastries I’ve ever had. Welp, might as well put “the food” section right here, so….throughout the 3 days, I had many crepes that were sold off the street, SANDWICHES, lots of pastries, lots of cheese, snails (yup, that’s right, snails) the best steak I’ve ever had, chicken, more crepes, and quiche, and lots of bread….and more crepes. When I came back to Spain, I ate … paella, something I used to thoroughly enjoy, which at that moment tasted like McDonald’s compared to a $50 steak.